Buffalo Gals is an Aboriginal Style Drumming Group that was founded in January 2004. A group of 6 women called Womyn’s Tribe agreed to teach drumming and songs to women in the North End. Now over 50 women and girls of all ages gather together at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday to drum, sing, and celebrate the Aboriginal culture.
The group provides an outlet for artistic development, role modelling, self-expression, and healing. It educates women about the Aboriginal art of drumming and the related ceremonies and teachings.
Buffalo Gals perform at many events organized by organizations from all over Winnipeg.
Any woman can join the group and no registration is required. For the duration of the group, the Centre can provide drums to women that don’t have their own.
- Learn traditional songs and drumming techniques
- Meet other women who are on a similar spiritual path
- Become a part of a supportive community
- Heal from trauma, violence, and abuse
- Return to their cultural roots
- Learn to make their own drum
- Perform at community events
Please see daily schedule for show times!